Subpart B - Service definition and arrangement
175.51 Service Definition Document (SDD)
(a) The Designated regulator shall undertake, with the close co-operation of the primary service provider, the production of a Service Definition Document (SDD). This document defines the Aeronautical Information Services to be provided within a Territory to ensure compliance with ICAO Annex 15.
(b) Before producing the SDD, the Designated Regulator shall consult users, including:
(1) commercial and private pilots; and
(2) commercial air operators; and
(3) air traffic services; and
(4) other interested parties.
(c) In addition to the users’ opinions, the Designated regulator shall also consider the requirements of the ICAO Regional Air Navigation Agreement and Plan with regard to Aeronautical Information Services in the Territory.
(d) The Designated regulator shall formally consult the users at not more than five year intervals in order to ensure that the services provided remain appropriate.
(e) The results of the definition process shall be captured within the SDD which shall define:
(1) the services to be provided, including the definition of the area of coverage of the information; and
(2) the International NOTAM Office for the Territory (which must be connected to the aeronautical fixed service); and
(3) the methods by which information shall be collected, collated and distributed; and
(4) the locations and hours during which services shall be provided; and
(5) the standards and criteria to be applied; and
(6) the quality management system which shall be used by the service provider; and
(7) the requirement for agreements between the Aeronautical Information Service provider, any sub-contacted service providers, Air Traffic Services Units and other users where appropriate.
(f) The SDD shall include the specific requirement for compliance with Annex 15 for:
(1) the compilation, production and distribution of an AIP; and
(2) a specific reference to the requirements for NOTAM and their receipt and distribution. Their format shall comply with Annex 15, Appendix 6; and
(3) the requirement in Annex 15 Chapter 6 and Appendix 4 for compliance with the AIRAC cycle; and
(4) specific reference to the requirement for Aeronautical Information Circulars, their contents and distribution in accordance with Annex 15 Chapter 7.
175.53 Arrangement of service provision
(a) The SDD shall identify a primary Aeronautical Information services provider which shall be responsible overall for the provision of AIS within the Territory and which may be:
(1) the Territory’s own Aeronautical Information Services Office; or
(2) the Territory’s main airport operator.
(b) The primary service provider may sub-contract all or parts of the service, such as AIP publication or issue of NOTAMs, to one or more other agencies or service providers which may be:
(1) an Air Navigation Service Provider; or
(2) another State’s or Territory’s Aeronautical Information Services Office; or
(3) a commercial service provider.
(c) Where any services are sub-contracted in accordance with paragraph 175.53(b) the primary service provider shall ensure that:
(1) there is in each case a letter of agreement or formal contract between the primary service provider and the sub-contractor to ensure that the services and standards to be provided by each party are clearly defined, taking into account the requirements specified in the SDD; and
(2) the service overall fully meets that defined by the SDD.
(d) Any agreement or contract shall include the requirement for a quality management system to be implemented by the Aeronautical Information Services provider in accordance with Subpart C.